Today lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender Americans and their allies will march on Washington to demand equal rights. Twitter is covering (And turning #NEM into a top trending topic) the march and sharing the chants being heard:
“Tell me what democracy looks like! This is what democracy looks like!”
“What do we want? Equality. When do we want it? Now!”
“Hey hey, ho ho, homophobia’s got to go!”
Thanks to @acmaki for the in the moment crowd shot! Even from this distance, I find it incredibly moving.
LGBT people still are not afforded the same rights as everyone else in this country, including:
- The right to work our jobs and go to school free of harassment and discrimination.
- The right to safety in our daily lives, and protection from hate crimes.
- The right to equitable healthcare, and the right to donate blood.
- The right to equitable immigration policies.
- The right to marry.
- The right to serve in the military openly. (Equality Across America)
Homophobia and transphobia (which are at the root of this lack of affording LGBT people equal rights) adversely effect mental health. I have written about the horrible toll this takes previously. For more information see: