Today, September 10th, is World Suicide Prevention Day. The theme this year is “Many Faces, Many Places: Suicide Prevention across the World“. You can click here to read about World Suicide Prevention Day activities throughout the world. The International Association for Suicide Prevention(IASP) is asking everyone to light a candle at 8 p.m.
The World Health Organization estimates that 1 Million individuals die from suicide each year. Please take the time out tomorrow to remember those who have been lost to suicide. Together, let us take the steps necessary to shatter stigmas and create hope
What else can you do?
- Join Take 5 to Save Lives’ virtual event on Facebook
- Become a Facebook Fan of the IASP
- Follow the IASP on Twitter , tweeting #WSPD or #suicide or #suicideprevention
- Register for a 2010 Out of the Darkness Community Walk at OutOfTheDarkness.org
- Educate yourself about suicide risk factors and warning signs
- Talk about it. Silence supports the stigma
If you or someone you know is suicidal right now call 1-800-SUICIDE, 911, or go to your nearest emergency room.
For Worldwide support contact Befrienders.org