Are You Being Emotionally Abused?
Emotional abuse may be harder to recognize than physical, but it can certainly be just as devastating. The following list may indicate emotional abuse. Please seek help with your nearest Domestic Violence hotline or someone aware of Domestic Violence issues.
- Do you feel that you can’t discuss with your partner what is bothering you?
- Does your partner frequently criticize you, humiliate you, or undermine your self-esteem?
- Does your partner ridicule you?
- Does your partner isolate you from friends, family or groups?
- Does your partner limit your access to work or material resources?
- Has your partner ever stolen from you? Or run up debts for you to handle?
- Does your relationship swing back and forth between a lot of emotional distance and being very close?
- Have you ever felt obligated to have sex, just to avoid an argument about it?
- Do you sometimes feel trapped in the relationship?
- Has your partner ever thrown away your belongings, destroyed objects or threatened pets?
- Are you afraid of your partner?
Resources for those experiencing Dating/Intimate Partner/Domestic Violence: